The beggars story - One vs One Million

One vs one million, the beggar’s story.

The same rule that applies to one, applies to one million. I have read many books on this simple rule but saying is easier than doing. From Sun Tzu’s, The Art of War to leading business books there is mention of what counts for one counts for many. The rule gets repeated through the centuries as the basic principle behind small to large scale action on anything.

If you can influence one person, which we all can then why can’t you influence one million? Let me ask you a better question. If you can earn a basic salary of one to several thousand a month, which we are all doing then why can’t you earn one to several million? Let me tell you the story of a street beggar I had an argument with over employment the other day. I left my workplace around lunch time to just get some air. By then I already had a pretty bad day and I was in no mood for any irritation. You know that ‘get out of my way, on the edge of road rage’ or ‘just running away’ feeling.

As my vehicle came to a stop I noticed the beggar looking out for a potential score. I looked him straight in the eye, amateur mistake on my side. As he came over I started closing my window. “Please sir, I am hungry.” I kept looking at the vehicle in front of me and shook my head. The beggar did not catch the hint and asked again. “Please sir, just something to buy food.” I ignored his second request, feeling annoyed that I was working real hard to earn my food and he just wanted a handout. While I was contemplating my feelings towards this person he knocked on my window.

I lost my temper and opened my window to give him a piece of my mind. He stepped back and gave me his best ‘puppy face expression’. “I work for my money, why don't you!” I said in discontent. “I don’t need to work, I probably make more than you do.” He replied with a confident yet bordering on arrogant attitude. Intrigued by what he said I wanted to know how this could be possible and asked him to have a word. At first he was skeptic as to my intentions but then agreed. The traffic light changed and I pulled into the first spot I could find.

I asked him how much money he makes. He then started an interesting explanation. “See I make anything from 50 to 200 on an average day, on good days I make more.” I was impressed by this but before I could get a word out he continues. “With the minimum daily wage being 180 I think I’m doing quite good. I have no expenses and my current occupation includes a meal plan.” He proudly proclaimed. So here we have a street corner business man. I asked him about his living conditions and he told me that it was good enough considering his current occupation that included free lodging.

I then asked him how much money he gets from the average passing vehicle. He smiled at me and explained that this was where the business part of his occupation lies. I will never forget his answer. “See I don’t ask for 10 or 20 not even 5, all I want is 1. Many vehicles and people on the street pass me every day and if I get 1 from every vehicle I make good money and the people give me extra for food. I have been doing this for a long time and getting the big score once or twice a week does very little. I just want 1 from every vehicle or person I see, I see hundreds every day.”

I thanked him for his time and said. “Well here's my 1.” Soon followed by him, “and extra for food.” I ended up giving him a 20. You could tell that the beggar had no education but he understood the concept of one or one million in his own way. Deliberating on this and spending time with many business people I have come to the following conclusion on this concept. The beggar realized that it would be easier to get a 1 from people than a 10. This meant that he would automatically have a higher strike rate. People also felt the urge to give more because the beggar was asking form so little.

From my point of view this clarifies the concept of one vs one million to some extent. A beggar had the business perspective of large supply chains and fast food stops. With the exception of the beggar not offering a service or product. He fully understood that if you could get just one from one person, which is a small ask but get it from one million people you would have achieved success.

With regard to people’s minds. Ask every person to change a little and you will get many people to change. This small change in every person would bring on a mass change. Ask every person the make a large change and the chances are you will have little to no effect on a large group. Similar to money, ask every person f
or a little and you will receive quite a bit. Ask every person for a lot of money and you will receive far less. Many large business models that offer products or services employ this concept and their success is a clear indicator that this concept works.

I would like to end with the following. The concept of one vs one million can be applied to any plan, group or problem that you might be working on. Note, I stated 'working on' this means taking action.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get more out of your day, live your dreams.

Overthinking