Minding your mood

Minding your mood.

Today I found myself thinking of death and losing someone. All this while busy with a quotation at work. I was focused on the task at hand but before I knew it, I was drifting off. Filled with sadness, thinking about loss in my family.

I paused for a second as I did not understand my sudden change of heart. My day started off great, what happened? I lifted my head to notice all the input I had around me. A song was playing in the background. You guessed it, the song was about losing a family member.

We tend to forget that we are influenced by all manner of input during the day. Whether you consciously notice it or not. In my case it was sound. The brain continuously process information as a survival mechanism.  Example: A smell related to an experience you had, instantly changing your mood. A facial expression reminding you of a person you dislike, even though the current expression is from the kindest person you know.

Whenever your mood changes for no reason, take a minute to identify the trigger. The trigger will always come in the form of an input, not limited to senses only. Example: A cup of coffee gets you going for the day but three cups turns you into a tyrant. By having three cups you took in too much caffeine or sugar. This changed your biochemistry, in turn changing your mood.

Start noticing the triggers in your daily life and the effect it has on you. Change the input to be in line with the mood you require to perform at your best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get more out of your day, live your dreams.

Productive waiting, a better use of time.